Thursday, November 12, 2009

How many books will my ereader hold?

I find this question somewhat amusing. My little ebookwise 1150 only holds about 10 books (I don’t have the expanded memory for it) and my Cool-er has 1 gigabyte of book storage and is expandable with a SD card.
Ebook files take up very little space. The ones on my machine are roughly an average of 500kb in size. What does that mean exactly? They are pretty darned small. Books with more pictures will of course take up more space, and ones with more special formatting will also take up more space.

Data Storage conversion
• 1 byte = 8 bits
• 1 kilobyte (K / Kb) = 2^10 bytes = 1,024 bytes
• 1 megabyte (M / MB) = 2^20 bytes = 1,048,576 bytes
• 1 gigabyte (G / GB) = 2^30 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes
• 1 terabyte (T / TB) = 2^40 bytes = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes
• 1 petabyte (P / PB) = 2^50 bytes = 1,125,899,906,842,624



So most ereaders will hold literally thousands of books, without having to use an expansion memory slot.

The reality? How many books do you plan to keep on your ereader at any one time?

I keep maybe 100ish books on my Cool-er, I do not keep my whole library on it.

Why not? Frankly sort options are currently not terribly good. So trying to find the book you want to read can be a real challenge. Many ereaders don’t have very good folder support, or they don’t have folders at all.

So when people say that a ereader ONLY has 1gig of space for books I smile and nod. Thinking who really carries a thousand books around on their reader at one time? Now if I was going to be in the middle nowhere with no internet access I could see having a thousand books on my ereader, but in general I don’t think most users will have more than a few hundred books on their ereaders at one time.

No comments: